next monday Jane launches in her awesome artist-inspired project but before that we both wanted to share some of our most inspiring books! jane is sharing picture books to inspire art and I’m sharing project books! (we are quite the duo, no?)
these are my favorite art project books, the ones I peruse on rainy days when the boys are running wild in the house or come to me with ‘I’m bored’. we’ve done projects from each one of these books but some of them are better for younger or older kids so I’ve arranged them somewhat in age order.
– art treasury by rosie dickins a great book for starter art projects! one of our absolute favorites! each project discusses an artist and provide a simple projects spanning printmaking to drawing with chalk pastels. the projects are accessible for lots of different ages but are definitely accessible for young kids. i’ve gushed about this book before and we have done many of its projects.
– the artful parent by the beautiful jean van’t hul is a recent addition to our library of books. this book is not only full of great projects but also includes gentle, thoughtful ideas about encouraging creativity in general. her tips on how to encourage creative, inspired activity are like wonderful reminders to honor and enjoy your kids. sometimes we open this book and don’t follow a project to the letter but instead end up going in a completely different but wonderful direction.
–side by side by tsia carson operates in a similar spirit. this book was the inspiration for the creation of a family art room in our house. I love tsia’s projects! and I really appreciate her philosophy that art can be done side by side with our kids…I love making things alongside my kids! the book includes loads of great projects. some of them involve unusual supplies or a good deal of set up but it is well worth it.
– d.i.y. kids by ellen and julia lupton is for a slightly older kid…some projects assume mastery of a computer and are a little more complicated. but, the projects are super inventive and super kid-friendly. things like decorating a hoodie, making your own stickers and book design. all the images in the books are kid-made and I think that would be very encouraging for art-interested older kids!
–art lab for kids by susan schwake includes 52 different projects spanning all mediums from printmaking to mixed media. each project are highlight an artist that works in that style. many of the projects are more appropriate for the older child, mostly because of the patience and attention required. I like the way this book is laid out and I love lots of the projects. of all the books we have, however, this is the book most ‘serious’ and very geared toward teaching technique. reminds me more of art training than crazy kid activities. sometimes that is what you want! my kids haven’t gotten there yet but if a kid is really into learning art, this would be a great book!
now for the extra icing on the cake! the book giveaway! jane and I are thrilled to say that Potter Craft has offered a copy of Martha Stewart’s Favorite Crafts For Kids for one lucky winner! this book looks chock-full of projects, I will be terribly jealous of whomever wins the giveaway!
to enter to win simply leave a comment either, here, on this post or on jane’s picture book post telling us “who is your favorite artist and what is your fave piece of theirs?”
the giveaway will be open from now until midnight EST 7/23. jane and I will tally together and combine our comments and choose a winner randomly. we will announce the winner in our BAC post next Wednesday, July 24!
enjoy these books. we are really looking forward to reading your comments!
check back for the rest of backyard art camp! we can’t wait!
- july 24–danielle and andrea from crafting connections
- july 29–deborah from my life at playtime
- july 31– stephanie from the crafty kitty
- august 5–miranda from miranda makes
- august 7–dawn suzette from simple things notebook
- august 12–stephinie from gypsy forest
- august 14–courtney from mon petit lyons
- august 19–carla from small + friendly
- august 21–sanae from sanae ishdia
- august 26–jennet from feathered nest studio
- august 28–tara from girl like the sea
- labor day–wrap up and highlights of BAC