has your loved one developed a love of sewing? not sure? here are some tell-tale signs:
are they inspecting the seams of all textile-based items in your home? have they started turning paper bags upside down and muttering ‘just not sure how to account for the seam allowance’? have you heard them cracking jokes about the blind hem stitch? noticed a lost look in their eye while they browse the crafting section at the bookstore? are they frequently searching for places to ‘put a little table that no one will disturb’? did this blog post somehow land in your email inbox?
if you answered yes to any of these questions you should really consider surprising them with some sewing supplies this holiday. here are some good ideas:
1) a sewing machine (I know this is daunting. you can do it! look for one with regular and stretch stitches; the ability to drop the feed dogs; and a drop-in bobbin is extra nice…the Janome 2212 is a fantastic option as is the Janome Magnolia 7318. they are sold here as well as on amazon.)
2) a gift certificate for some awesome fabric. try Hawthorne Threads or Sew Mama Sew.
3) a crafting book! Bend the Rules Sewing is a wonderful beginner book but any of these will be delightful and swoon-worthy.
4) a subscription to Stitch Magazine (it is hip, fun and comes with free patterns.)
5) thread. trust me on this…it sounds boring but is, in fact, the opposite. a colorful pack of good quality Mettler or Guterman thread is like eating buttercream icing without the calories. btw, you want polyester thread in an assortment of colors.
6) a day of fabric shopping at this shop or this shop. this one is a double win…time away from all responsibilities and surrounded by scrumptious fabric.
7) a gift certificate for a happy stitch classes! oh yes, this is possible! just let me know how much and I will make a listing for you on the etsy shop. this is a super option because it means your lovely sewing-obsessed loved one can just pick the class she wants when the class schedule comes out and doesn’t have to worry about getting the payment in….p.s. $65 would be enough for one classes with a sewing salon thrown in! $95 would buy two classes.
UPDATED TO ADD** If they don’t already have it…this is a real winner: a 36″ X 24″ self-healing cutting mat, rotary cutter, and a clear ruler (photos below)! sounds crazy, right? but these three items are otherwise known as the essential supplies for quick, proper cutting. they can get expensive so some sewers hold out on buying them. as a result, they would be an amazing (and super thoughtful) addition to a new sewer’s stocking. added bonus is that it makes you look like you really know about sewing!
good luck! by the way, this year you will rock the gift giving! I can feel it.
are you looking for the giveaway? it’s one post down. sorry about that, I couldn’t wait too long to hand out these hints.
kristen gilmore powell says
you are so funny, love this post!! think i will send it on to my spouse!
can’t wait to hear what you get!!
mama-pan | mary frances says
this is great! I think it would make a good occasional series :o)
hmm..good point! especially as I kept thinking up things that I neglected to mention like ‘gift card to spoon flower’!!