Make a beautiful, comfortable, custom-fit knit skirt. This class is a great intro to sewing with knit fabrics. We also introduce drafting your own patterns to fit your own body!
The first session will be spent drafting our own skirt patterns based on your body measurements (the skirt will be knee length but otherwise sized to fit you!). The second session we will cut our fabric, learn all about sewing with knits and start sewing. In the final session, we will complete the skirt with a twin-needle hem stitch. You are going to love knowing how to sew with knits and will be amazed at your awesome, custom-fit skirt!
some students will need to bring their own machine with a walking foot or teflon-coated machine foot for sewing with knits. I have one sewing machine and one additional sewing foot that will be available but otherwise students need their own machine and walking foot for use in the 2nd and 3rd class. if you don’t already own a walking foot, you will NOT regret having one. they are amazing and useful for any sewing with knits or quilting, in your sewing future!
participants are responsible for bringing their own supplies -or- you can purchase supplies from me before class (please let me know if you plan on buying from me and we can discuss pricing and options).
- 1 & 1/2 yard knit jersey fabric (there are many kinds of knit fabric and most will work well for this skirt just be sure to avoid jersey tissue type of fabric, it’s popular with lots of t-shirts these days but it’s too thin and tricky to work with)
- 1 Schmetz Jersey needle #80
- 1 Schmetz Jersey twin needle or Universal Twin Needle will work too
- 1 larger spool (250 m) matching 100% polyester thread (Maxi-Lock is a great brand for sewing with knits but Guterman or Mettler brand are good, too. Just be sure it is 100% polyester)
- 1 package Dritz “Seams Great” seam and hem finish in 100% nylon (it comes in white or black purchase whatever best matches your fabric)